Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Moveable Feast; Pages 15-49

My usual reading tastes do not fall under that of what most classics, more notably Hemmingway, entails.  Most classics are full of verbose languages, with flowery descriptions that seem to take a great portion of time detailing every minuscule aspect of various subjects.  Once I started reading A Moveable Feast, I was prepared for the same flowerly expression.  While I was not surprised to find the same depiction that I am accustomed to, Hemmingway's use of tying these descriptions into his daily events sparked interest--in particularly with his conversations with his wife and Miss Stein.

In chapter one, I had gotten worked up over the use of the french language, being that I have not used any knowledge of the language since my high school french course.  After a couple pages, though, the story started to become more fluid in reading than choppy.  His description of the Place Contrescarpe, reminded me much of my most recent trip to New Orleans.  Some friends and I stayed one street from Bourbon Street, and the stenches and drunkenness Hemmingway described took me back to New Orleans, as it seemed to be everywhere.  When he sat down at the cafe on the Place St.-Michel, it reminded me of an older adaption of a writer sitting down at their favorite spot in Starbucks, waiting for inspiration to strike, and getting lost int their own stories for a length of time unknown.

In chapter two, Hemmingway introduces Miss Stein, which seems like a pleasant older woman.  She seems very knowledgeable, and caring.  What surprised me is that, for this era it seemed strange to have an openly homosexual woman.  Maybe it was because of different cultures, but for the 1920's, it didn't seem to suit.  Miss Stein's comment on buying pictures instead of clothing, seems to be a little counter-intuitive to me.  For a person impoverished, shouldn't the money go to food and a place to stay instead of either clothing or pictures.  Although, that concern was answered a couple chapters ahead, when Hemmingway described that he and his wife, Hadley, did not think of themselves as poor.  Lastly, her comment on the difference in homosexual love, based on gender, seemed to be a bit intriguing and offending.  It was intriguing to see that she didn't seem to open her eyes on the matter of looking outside her own box, and offending the same aspect.  For a woman that was so knowledgeable and respected, she couldn't look outside her own world to see that male homosexual love existed.

Chapter three is a very short but powerful chapter.  It starts off with Hemmingway visiting a library, to get various books.  He describes through conversation his concern about not having enough money to pay the fee for using the library.  Hemmingway also introduces Joyce, a man still masked in mystery.  The chapter ends in Hemmingway discussing the rest of the day with his wife, in such a manner that makes the married life seem completely care-free.

Chapter four describes the French perception on American books.  Most of them are considered worthless because of no quality pictures and horrible binding.  Therefore most American books are tossed aside, sold quickly, or thrown out.  Hemmingway describes how he has friends that would bind them all and put them on their boats to make grand libraries.  He describes sitting down and reading about people fishing. He said that it was always good to know about fishing, even though he didn't fish; a statement that I found interesting and intriguing.  He closed the chapter by discussing that he never felt alone sitting down between the rivers, seeing people fish and feeling the warm spring winds.  A sensation that I simply adore.

In chapter five, Hemmingway and his wife goes to the racing track--another act which I find strange for poor people to enact in, but could be related to the powerball of today.  They sit down and eat their lunch, making two bets on two different horses.   He says that they made enough for them so they were happy.  Later on in the chapter they walk throughout Paris and eventually end up on a bridge over the Reine.  They begin to talk about their Italian soldier friend named, Chink.  Hadley says one of the most powerful statements of the reading so far, "You're such a literal boy.  I meant lucky in other ways."  Within this statement, not only is she acknowledging the fact that they were lucky at the race track, but she is sitting back and reflecting on everything they have.  Something that I do on frequent occasion. Reflect on what there is to be thankful around you, a pivotal aspect of life that most people do not do.

The first five chapters, sparked an interest in this book.  I would not classify it as a "cannot put down" book, yet, but I do have high hopes that I will get lost in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment